Las oficinas de CC Puerto Rico estarán cerradas desde el Martes 19 hasta el Domingo, 24 de Septiembre
updated September 20 at 11:00am

Esto debido al paso del Huracán María.  Trataremos de mantenernos disponibles por medio de correo electrónico por cualquier urgencia. Tan pronto reanudemos labores, le comunicaremos por este medio, inclusive el estatus del horario del fin de semana. Nuestros mejores deseos para que este fenomeno de la naturaleza no afecte profundamente a nuestro pueblo puertorriqueño.

Más información aquí

Miscellaneous FAQ's

Q: Who handles questions about licensure?

A: For all requests specific to particular area of licensure, contact the program chair via their campus email address with a copy to

For licensure specific to supervisors/directors, principals, and superintendents, please contact Dr. Charles Grandson at with a copy to

For out-of-state verification, please contact Tahia Bell-Sykes at 617-873-0669 or Ann Osborne at 617-873-0130.

Q: Who fills out forms from the Department of Unemployment Assistance?

A: The Registrar’s Office will complete, fax and mail the form to the DUA.

Q: How do I change my address?

A: Please complete and submit an to the Registrar’s Office. You may also update your address at the beginning of a registration period via the Personal Information Update form, which must be submitted online before you may register.

Q: How can I change my program of study?

A: Please complete and submit a Program Change form  to the Registrar’s Office after seeking advising, approval, and the appropriate signatures from your School. Please also note that you are bound by the requirements that exist at the time you change your major.  

Q: How do I take a term away or withdraw from the college?

A: Please complete and submit a withdrawal form to the Registrar’s Office.

Q: Can I request a copy of a document from my student file?

A: Yes, with the exception of transcripts from other schools and letters of recommendation to which you have waived the right of access. (Please request a transcript from the school that originally issued it.) Please provide a signed request for the document.  Please understand that, if you are a graduate, we will need to retrieve your file from archives.

Q: Is the Boston Campus accessible by public transportation? 

A: Yes, please see our Map & Directions page for details.